Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Education Station on a Roll!!!!

We had our very first day of school and I must say it went very well. We were able to learn our schedule, prepare our materials, read, do math, and do activities to promote success and good study habits. It was weird because you would think after teaching for 9 years, the first day jitters would go away especially since I am home this year, but it never does. It was nice to begin our morning with worship and a good breakfast. The children were able to sing, pray, discuss the scriptures. This was the most rewarding part of my day because I know that because of my choice, my children are now able to consistently praise God with me.
It was a very hard decision for me to do this, but being the principal at the Henry's house is exciting. After worship, the children were able to write in their personal journals. This is so important because it is a time where they can express their feelings without worrying about spelling, grammar, etc. It is also a time in which they can release whatever may be on their mind before we start. After journal time, I read aloud the Adventurers of Huckleberry Finn. Many people think that this book is controversial, but I think it is a good book to teach character traits because Huck has so much character. Since the children are three different age groups, I was able to set up rotation schedule children that allowed me to give them one on one instruction. I allowed the children to choose their books. This was very rewarding because they were able to make predictions about their books, identify words they did not know, which will be their vocabulary/spelling words, as well as work on fluency and comprehension. After that they did math review and ended the day with a success at school lesson I will teach the last 20 minutes.
Today we will add science to our schedule. The kids are anxious to begin experimenting since they were not able to do many experiments at school. I am so excited about today!!!

No comments: