Saturday, October 11, 2008

Busy Busy


The year is going very fast. The children and I have been very busy. So far, my children have completed their first research project. I allowed them to choose a topic from the book they have been reading for research. My oldest daughter did a project on dolphins, my baby girl did a research project on candy, and my nephew researched information about horses. I initially felt like I could have taught many other concepts, but the research is good because it the children were reading and comprehending nonfiction text. We were able to talk and answer questions. There were some vocabulary words that the children were able to learn, plus they were able to display their work and type their papers.

My children are working on salt maps of the world to to map out the beginning of American History and key events that took place. Their next research project will be on The first early civilizations in America. This time they will research the information, but I am going to use a flip poster board to display information about the civilizations. I am learning so much with my children and it is awesome.

My next goal is to enhance my childrens' math curriculum. I would like to add more math projects and games. I am noticing that the children is getting into the "I've completed the next lesson" mode. I don't want them to just go through the motions. I want them to be able to problem solve in everyday situations. Now that I got their reading, english, science, and social studies on the right track, I am going to work on making the math fulfilling.

One major challenge I am faced with, is being able to juggle it all. Everyone has different needs so I really have to work hard at meeting those needs in a creative way.

1 comment:

Creyole said...

Well look a here!! You have come alive and got loads of updates. So proud of you and the beautiful family. J Baby sure is growing fast!